Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Karma

KARMA

A very interesting thing happened to me the other day. Very interesting indeed.

First a bit of backstory:

(In the past...)
Eric anderson
20 Years Old
Rating: Newbie

I had decided that I wanted to become a writer and producer of movies. This had been decided for quite a while, but I needed a jump start. I naively took my resume to a local production company that had made some solid films. I really wanted to talk to a certain director that I had admired.

With all the hope in the world and all my fingers crossed, I set out to get a job with this company. I met the producer, I met the writer/director, and I met a few others. I was determined to be a part of their team, even if it meant working for free.

I received no response from them but: "we really only hire students."

Later, when I was a bit older and going to school - I had the chance to meet with this particular director again. I again asked him for an opportunity to be a part of his films - I was now a student.

I again received nothing but coldness and a shirking shoulder.

FLASH FORWARD a few years.

I am now interning at a pretty prestigious independent film distribution company in LA. I am working under one of the VP's of acquisition - someone who wants their films distributed talks to this guy. One day, an invite comes in. It is an invitation for that director's newest film. He wants the VP to come see the film and hopefully be willing to distribute it.

Now I am stuck with a moral dilemma. It was my job to decide whether or not to forward along these invites (and there were a lot of them) along to my boss. Should I send it to him? Should I hold on to it? Should I throw it in the trash?

I decided NOT to forward it along. But not because I had a vendetta against this man, I still liked him. It was because I felt that his film wasn't right for this company. (Also, maybe a bit because I didn't really want to help this guy out who wasn't willing to help a naive, impressionable young filmmaker get a leg-up.)

FLASH FORWARD AGAIN

I'm working at a top Literary agency in Beverly Hills. A submission letter for this SAME director comes across our desks. He is seeking representation with our agency. I chuckle a little and then shrug it off. I'm not going to help him. I won't even tell any of my bosses about him. It's not worth it to me.

If he had been nice, if he had taken two seconds, I would have tried my best to help out in both of these situations.

It's about KARMA. It's about helping each other, no matter how insignificant or how silly it is. All that guy had to do, was give me some advice, or take a few minutes to discuss things with me. If he had I'm sure I would feel differently about him and I would have done more to help him out when the tables turned.

So that's basically it. You need to be nice and you need to do the best you can to help others out. What goes around, comes around.

If any of you feel I have treated you poorly or that I shrugged you off - I'M SORRY! Please let me know about what I said/did and I will try my best to correct it.

And no, I will not let you know who the director is.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Last night you made me feel bad for not folding the underwear, so now I will never do the laundry again... okay, not really. I'm over it.

I think as a mormon it's hard to do what you did, but I think it was fair and honest. It amazes me that twice you could have made a positive impact in his life, but were not inclined to because he did not take a moment to be a positive influence in your life. No matter how small or insignificant someone may seem you never know when they might come into power that could directly influence you. It's important to be nice even if you don't want to.

I think you were really brave in this situation. You did something against your nature, but I don't believe you did anything wrong. You're a really good man!

Senor Boyero said...

I disagree. If you as a Mormon believer are inclined to be in a moral dilemma and you choose not to be forgiving then you are in the wrong. You as someone who needed help was turned away and yet you turn someone else away who needed help?

I don't think it was your place to bring your personal vendetta against this man especially at your job. You may say you didn't have a personal vendetta but its very apparent from your writing that you were offended and wanted revenge.

First he was up and you were down. Now he is down and you are up. What if the tables turn again? What good fortune can you expect to gain from eye for an eye like behavior?

Doesn't the Lord say "I the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." DC 64:10

Christ said it best-
Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.

But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.

The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him aan hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.

And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Senor Boyero said...

Next time you need help what if the Lord says "It's not worth it to me." ?

Unknown said...

First of all - who are you?

Second - it was completely not spiteful. I had no vendetta against him. If you took that from what I wrote then I apologize.

The fact of the matter is, I definitely was hurt by him, but not having a vengeful bone in my body I decided to not act (and therefore put my job and career on the line) in his behalf. What if he treated me the same way, even if I was able to give this person a chance?

You certainly don't understand the world or the entertainment business (and you probably never want to, and that's okay), but in order to comment about how this business is run you need to understand it. By any standards of this entertainment business I was being nice. Others that I know and have worked with would have done much more harm.

You quote scripture at me, but yet you don't know me and you don't know my heart. I believe the scriptures and I believe Christ. Therefore, I don't need your judgements or naysaying.

If you don't like it, you can just not read my blog.

Or just never ask me for a favor because you won't get it. That was vengeful, and I'll have to deal with my judgement for saying it in due time.

Tiffany said...

Nicholas! You will be judged how you judge other people or did miss that in the scriptures? Eric is a good man that would help anyone, even if it makes me, his wife, crazy. He in no way was out to get revenge. He was simply protecting himself and his career. At least tell us who you are and why you decided to preach to him?

Senor Boyero said...

I'm sorry I upset you. I'm just chiming in because I disagree and felt like giving you my opinion. Which obviously you don't like but if you have a public blog you're inviting opinions from the public.

I stand by what I said and think: it doesn't matter who I am

you shouldn't be spiteful to me
for voicing my concerns about your life

I hope I don't have to ask you a favor but in the case I ever would I would quote scriptures again (ha)

I am glad you're doing what you love but I don't need to know the entertainment business to know that any grand high up position in life can be harming to your spiritual grounding

I understand not risking your job but you made some remarks that made it seem personal like "if only he was nicer...then I would've..."

Thanks