Friday, December 17, 2010

Stacking Sucks, or How Scott Myers Ruined My Day

If you haven't already, I would advise you to go to Scott Myers' blog "Go Into The Story" and read the article he posted about "Stacking Projects."

The basic idea is that while you are working on writing a script, you should be outlining your next project so you can get right to work as soon as you finish a draft of the first project.  Then while you are rewriting, you can be writing the next project and outlining the next, and so on.

This is so much a great idea!  It kind of blew my mind (even though it is so simple).  I've spent the last 24-hours thinking of what to get going in the hopper and decide what to write next.  Good right?

Wrong!

Now I have too many great ideas flooding my mind with awesomeness!  I turned on the flood gates and have not yet mastered how to control it.  I'm a novice writer who has just found a new shiny toy and wants to play with only it forever and ever.



I've lost some sleep and I have been ignoring duties at work.  This is so bad.  What have I done?  We need some guidelines on how to control this great and mighty force.  It's Pandora's Box.

Similar to this, but not related to Scott's post - I've been having a flood of ideas come in ever since working on my current project.  It's as if the devil of ideas is on my shoulder whispering amazing things to me that I feel compelled to work on.  There are just too many!

In fairness, it's not Scott's fault in the slightest.  I just thought that would be a more dramatic title.  And many thanks and kudos to him for his website, and for that post that has awakened my senses.

How about it readers?  How do I juggle all these ideas floating around?  Should I concentrate on a set number of projects at a time?  How many?  HELP!

3 comments:

Spenturion said...

Being your writing partner, I would prescribe only two at a time, and just like Scott said, start one before the other. Don't try jump starting four ideas at the same time with the hopes to develop them all.

Two tops.

debbie said...

So I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I worry about you not at least writing down all the awesomeness that is flowing into your mind. Can you focus on two projects, but if you happen to spend a day or so thinking about a third one, write down all your ideas and then go back to the two primaries? Also, ask your wife. If you're out of control she'll know how to handle it :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks Debbie! After that comment I will chime in. I think they're all pretty right about only 2 ideas. Maybe quick notes for more, but nothing serious. No outlining even. Keep it brief, but don't forget the ideas either. And to keep you focused so you actually finish project one I would suggest spending at least twice as much time on project 1 as project 2. That way nothing is ever abandoned. Fair deal?

I love you!