Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fall Movie Preview - September

It's time for school!! Well, not for me, but I am excited about the upcoming releases this fall. Each year around this time you get a funny mix of both critically acclaimed movies (Oscar-bait movies), movies that the distributors were unsure of so they didn't release them during the higher grossing summer months, and the blockbuster Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday films.

Here are a number of my personal picks and suggestions, I'll be rolling them out each week with trailers and thoughts for each one. Starting tomorrow I'll have a fall TV preview as well. Hope you get excited to see some cool movies!

I didn't include anything that wasn't related to Sci-Fi, but I know there are a number of great films coming out this Fall. What are you excited to see?


SEPTEMBER

Apollo 18

PREMISE: The premise behind this film is that there was a final mission to the moon that was not divulged. The astronauts were to go up and discover what had happened to a fallen cosmonaut from the USSR, but what they discover is a more sinister and lethal entity.

THOUGHTS: This one looks like a fun horror film, and there might be some great mock-vintage footage, but from the trailer it does seem a bit claustrophobic. Also, I'm getting sick of the "found footage" style of horror films. Watch your back for this one on September 2nd.

Contagion
PREMISE: The synopsis for Contagion is not very clear, but what we do know is that it is about a deadly disease that breaks out and threatens to take out the entire world.

THOUGHTS: I love a good virus outbreak movie. The 1995 film Outbreak is one of my all-time favorites. This film has a lot of star power which excites me to see it. I'm just scared for the moment when one of the doctors in an HVAC suit punctures themselves with a needle - it happens in every virus movie and it freaks me out! Get infected on September 9th.

Dream House
PREMISE: Daniel Craig stars as a husband and father who moves his family into a nice big dream house only to find out that the house has a terrible history that has him strangely linked.

THOUGHTS: This one looks pretty good. It looks like a perfect psychological horror film. It is directed by one of my favorites - Jim Sheridan. The trailer might be giving away too much, and the title is very generic, but I'm sure there's so much more to it that will make it a great scare. This one comes out September 30th.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

I'm actually a bit intrigued by Apollo 18 as well. However, since I scare so easily my interest is high enough to have one retell the whole movie to me. That is never quite as scary, but then I still get to hear all the plot twists and turns.

Contagion is much too close to one of my worst fears. It way grosses me out so I won't be going anywhere near it. Everyone else can get infected while I board up my windows.

As for all of the star power I find that to be a put off. The reason I say that is because so many times studios load a movie with stars hoping that will get people to see a movie that maybe isn't so great. So, already I feel like the story maybe isn't good enough to warrant my attention.