Thursday, February 19, 2009

Two Paths

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I have a huge problem. There are two different paths within my line of work that will take me in two completely different directions.
The first is to work as hard as I can to become a creative producer. This means that I would be the guy who options properties (books, tv shows, graphic novels, etc), finds scripts, and generally does everything that has to do with the creative elements of the film business.
The second is to work as hard as I can to become a physical producer. This means that I would be the guy that helps put together a film. I would be responsible for budgets and schedules and the like. I would get to know a lot of people and I would be able to get a film made in no time.

Both of these courses are what I want. They both excite me to no end and they both are very involved within the film business. My problem is that I don't know which one I want more.

Today I was faced with this decision and I feel like I made the right choice. I have decided to do anything I possibly can to be a creative producer. This is by far the more sought after path and it is evident in the number of people in LA trying to do the same thing. As a friend said "Throw a rock and see how many you hit."

I really hope this is the right decision and the right path for me. I'm feeling pretty good about it. I don't have any deepening regret about it. I guess time will see...

2 comments:

Shana said...

Sounds good to me. Good luck!

Tiffany said...

I hope that time tells quickly! You have to do what makes you happy, especially in a business like this. You'll do great with whatever you do. And if you do creative first then you can reach over the line and do physical production eventually too. I love you! Thanks for taking me on this journey with you!