Monday, February 23, 2009

Idea Potholes

Yesterday morning I was drifting between sleep and awake and I started to think up some random ideas for a movie. This is not strange, it happens to me all the time (especially in the shower). Usually when I think of something I write it down in a little notebook or on the "notes" app on my iPhone. That way I can use the idea again someday or incorporate it into the screenplays and treatments that I'm writing at the present moment.

Well this particular morning I came up with an idea that at the time seemed absolutely genius (although I admit that I was in a drunken-like state of morning stupor). I thought to myself "You should try and write this down right now." Yet my arms remained warm in bed. Usually if a great idea comes along I avoid responsibility/others/my own comfort to get it down on paper, but at this particular moment in time it was more important for me to keep my arms warm than to put up the three seconds of effort it would take to write it down. The devil on my shoulder kept telling me that "It'll be okay, you are going to get up in a few minutes, you can write it down then. Or better yet, type it out on the computer!" If it takes the rest of my life, I will somehow learn not to listen to that guy, because he is always wrong.

Anyway, I did eventually get up and I did eventually get on the computer, but I certainly did not write down the two ideas I had in that dream-state I was in. As a result I have completely forgotten what those ideas where even about.

So now the really sad part of the story: I have obsessing about these ideas all day today. I have been trying to recall what the ideas were since I woke up. I drove around this afternoon and all I could think was "What where those ideas?!?" Yet to no avail.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I don't drop it, but I keep trying to remember. Nothing is there. I also keep telling myself to forget the ideas and that "They probably weren't that good anyway. What good comes from that time in the morning? Nothing, that's right." But it still is driving me crazy trying to pull out some sort of inkling of what they might have been. I remember how I felt when coming up with the ideas, and a lot of the time if I feel really good about the idea it is usually worth exploring.

Now I sit here, blogging about the ideas that could have been. Instead of moving on and trying to be productive with my time.

3 comments:

Geoff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geoff said...

I have some ideas for you if you are interested. they aren't movie ideas but internet series or podcasts. if you are email me at pappagiorgio@gmail.com. you probably get stuff like this all the time though.

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry your ideas died. Next time you should tell me and I can write them down for you. That is if I'm up and around. I love you!