Friday, March 20, 2009

Gentlemen Broncos

Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords) plays Dr. Ronald Chevalier

Last night was a lot of fun. Tiffany and I were able to go to a screening of Gentlemen Broncos.

My first reaction to this film: Totally Hilarious.

I dare say that anyone who is a Jared Hess fan, or a fan of Napoleon Dynamite should go to see this movie in theaters many many times. And bring friends.

IMDb describes the movie thus:

Benjamin (Angarano), home-schooled by his eccentric mother (Coolidge), is a loner whose passion for writing leads him on an journey as his story first gets ripped off by the legendary fantasy novelist, Ronald Chevalier (Clement) and then is adapted into a disastrous movie by the small town's most prolific homespun filmmaker.

I was very impressed by the actors of the film. Michael Angarano did a fantastic job as Benjamin, the timid high school sci-fi writer. His performance is one of the most satisfying and interesting that I have seen in a long time. I also thought that Sam Rockwell's depiction of not only manly-man Bronco, but also extremely twisted Brutus was memorable and legendary. I also give much kudos to Mike White, Jennifer Coolidge, Hector Jimenez (loved him in Nacho Libre), Halley Fiefer, and of course - I can't forget - the incredible Jemaine Clement (all you Chonchord fans know what I'm talking about).

I will not give away any fantastic plot points or divulge any narrative or thematic elements. Just know that this is another brilliant and fun film by one of my favorite directors Jared Hess:

I also think that his wife Jerusha Hess is pretty amazing. They both got Exec. Producer credit on this one (and Mike White got Producer) which I think is incredible. Anyone in the position to barter for that position on a major film - should.
Side story: I met Jerusha at a Utah Film Commission banquet once, it was a lot of fun. My friend and I came in late and we were in the elevator with her and her assistant. When we went to sit down there was only a few tables left so we all sat at the same table. She's way cool. A lot of people came up and talked to her and she was very nice to everyone. I asked her if anyone pitches wacky projects to her and Jared, she told me of some twins that came and pitched a musical and both twins played male and female parts. Very fun.

When this hits theaters (whenever that may be) go out and pay the 10 bucks to see it. It will be so worth it.

0 comments: