Monday, January 4, 2010

Avatar

Not going to do a "best movies of 2009" list. Instead, I'm going to try and catch up on my reviews of movies that have come out that I haven't mentioned here.

Later, I might do a "best of 2009" in reverse order of various things and movies will be involved.

And in the interest of time, I will be using the HabDashCine method of reviewing films. This includes: a short sentence or two about the film - and - whether or not it's worth seeing in theaters, renting and/or owning.

AVATAR (2009)

I really don't care what you think of the story (more on that later), this movie is technically one of the most amazing spectacles that I have ever seen.

It is fun and enjoyable and you should all go see it in 3-D before it's too late.

About the story - so what if it's generic, so is every other story in Hollywood. Sure Cameron could have dressed it up a bit better, but that's the way it went. You can't deny the effectiveness of the story in pulling you in. As for the political subplots - just because you noticed them and knew what they were, doesn't mean that it's bad. Just think about the many, many political and religious agendas that are in films that you don't notice.

Theater or Home Video: Definitely Theater - 3D
Own* or Rent: Own, but I am concerned that it won't look as cool at home.

*Only if you have an HDTV and Blu-ray Disc Player. There's no other way to see movies besides in the theater.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love a discussion! That's what makes it fun.

Here's the thing about the technology - the system Cameron used was invented specifically for Avatar. It has propelled the art of 3D to a new level.

Plus, with the progression of home theater and the ease of staying at home and having a spectacular experience, the picture houses have to get creative to keep the money coming into the box office. 3D was used back in the 60's as a gimmick (and we're not too far away from a gimmick today), but it failed because they didn't have the technology to make it better - we still don't have the technology to make it better, but we're getting closer.

My buddy explained it well on his blog:
http://spenturion.blogspot.com/2010/01/movie-review-kinda-avatar.html

As for the story - I agree, it was a total rip-off (I would say more of Disney's Pocahontas than Dances With Wolves). But like you said, whatevs cause it's fun.

I give it five stars too, but you already knew that.