Sunday, July 26, 2009

iPhone I love you, but...

Why must it always be a constant battle to keep technology working?

-or-

Better put: Why must I get so frustrated with technology not working?

I was checking my precious iPhone to see what Twitter status updates had been posted since the last time I had checked it. (It had been two minutes, and there were twelve).

Then the unthinkable... my Gmail account had not been able to update and it persisted that I had an incorrect password. It had the audacity to accuse me of having incorrect information!

After about 20 minutes of getting frustrated and reserving the curse words swimming through my head for a more serious issue that may or may not happen in the future - I decided to take my battles to the big desktop. Which made my life even worse because I couldn't get into my Gmail account from that outlet either!

First thought - oh no, a virus/hacker/bug has changed my password and is doing horrible things to my precious Gmail accounts.

Second thought - is there any way to change my password without logging in?

Luckily there was. And I did. I was able to login immediately and my password had been changed safely.

So now what's up with the iPhone? The answer - it needed to be turned off and given a minute to chill out and think about the trouble it had caused. Once I had given it a good ten minute time-out, it was time to come back and behave properly.

I am glad to say that now the device is working properly and is no longer giving me errors. But it's on naughty watch for the next few days.

This whole incident is probably best illustrated by one of my favorite British television shows The IT Crowd in which it was a running gag for the IT professionals to ask the naive co-workers if they had "turned it off and then back on again?"



Which leads me to my next point:

Spaced
One of the most fabulous British shows ever created. It unfortunately only ran for two seasons, but lucky enough for you - they're both on Hulu.

Written by and starring - Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson
Directed by Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz)

You can watch the show here, and I would suggest you do...or else...

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

You're so funny! I thought your writing about the difficulties with your iPhone were absolutely hilarious! I love you so much!