Friday, October 10, 2008

10.10.2008

MOVIE

Thanks to Jacob's indirect chastisement of rating movies, I have decided for myself that I will not rate films on a scale. But, that doesn't mean I can't talk about films:

NICK AND NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST

This film had all the makings of Juno-esque gold. It had the punchy dialogue and the dry humor, it had the young teens looking to find themselves in a complicated world, it had the great soundtrack, and hey, it even had Michael Cera. Unfortunately this film lacked something very key that Juno had - a strong undercurrent for the storyline. Juno was able to tell a strong story in a punchy way, but Nick and Norah tells a weak story in an attempt to be as punchy. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film and I found it very enjoyable - especially the awkward teen character played by Michael Cera. The film just lacked something that I wish it had and I came away from it feeling less fulfilled. All things aside, it was a fun film and a fun journey through the streets of New York. Two extreme smirks to the performances of Kat Dennings as Norah and Ari Graynor as the lovable drunk friend Caroline.

2 comments:

Parker said...

I will say that when I wrote that, I did think of your blog, because of your rating system... It's just a personal thing. After years of reviewing movies over at Rotten Tomatoes in their community, I just got sick of always having to come up with some number, or some definable symbol by which others could better understand whether I liked a movie or not. And also, I oftentimes would simply look at someone's number, and ignore their review, which often explained the number, and I would miss out on the whole experience of their review, and I would focus on the number. It was a long, complicated matter, and I chose to simply forgo any and all ratings systems, and if I were to review a film, it would simply be a review, no systems attached. It wasn't a general chastisement, just a personal standard I chose to live by.

Unknown said...

I agree most indubitably. Thanks for the inspiration!