Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Delorean

Driving down the Interstate 15 on Sunday, we happened upon a wonderful sight --

Not one, but two DeLorean DMC-12's!!!



This was so unprecedented! I almost spazzed. Even though I was driving I jumped up from my seat and looked around in amazement at the spectacle.

The reply from my wife was a simple- "what's a DeLorean?"
Are you kidding me?!? Okay, granted it's not that common of a thing to know, but I simply informed her of the most popular reference of a DeLorean: the Back to the Future time machine.

A Brief History
Click for full History

John DeLorean was a successful engineer and businessman. He had developed both the GTO and Firebird for Pontiac.
He broke off to form his own company that would soon be known as the "De Lorean Motor Company."
He setup offices in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland and began to create prototypes in 1976.
After several funding problems, the first line of DeLorean DMC-12's rolled off the line and went into mass production and distribution in 1981.
One of the coolest things the company did was produce a limited edition gold-plated DMC-12. They only produced 100, most of which are now in museums.
In late 1982 production halted after serious charges were brought against John DeLorean for drug trafficing. He was arrested and eventually acquitted, but the damage was done and the company had folded.

Nowadays

There were only about 9,000 completed cars that went into distribution. Reports say that there is approximately 6,500 left in existence.
A company out of Houston, TX called DMC Houston purchased the remainder of the DeLorean stock from the factory and began repairing and custom building the machines.

In August 2007 they announced that they would be re-manufacturing the DeLorean line in late 2008. Although this has not yet come to pass, it is still a possibility.

Geeked Out

All I know is, if one day I have the luck to spend a great deal of money on frivolous things, I will be sure to go out and purchase a DeLorean and try and restore it.

Flux Capacitor Optional.


1 comments:

Tiffany said...

You're such a nerd, but that's some of what I love about you. If only I'd know how awesome a sight it was to see 2 DeLorean's just parking on the side of the interstate like that. Totally cool and impressive!