Friday, September 18, 2009

Why 3D May Work For Me Soon

I hate 3D.

I hated 3D.

Those uncomfortable glasses that never quite fit over my prescription glasses. The way you could only see part of the screen in 3D and the rest of it was blurry around the edges. So many reasons why it has never been exciting or intriguing to me in the least.

Recently there have been some very innovative developments with the technology that made me notice:

The first - a small company is developing a very large and very amazing 3D HD television that will bring the 3D revolution to the level of home entertainment. This means that me and my Blu-ray disc of Coraline will be able to soon have a delicious affair.







The second comes in the form of recent glasses technology. For those of us with ill-fitted and uncomfortable 3D glasses issues, a Variety article shares a bit of hope -

While Real D hasn't made a formal announcement, Real D topper Michael Lewis tipped the story after Fox Sports chairman David Hill said he thought great-looking glasses would change the picture for 3D. "I have two teenaged girls, and they don't want to go on dates looking like they're going to do some spot welding," Hill said.

Lewis responded that designer Real D glasses, including Gucci designs, will be available "in certain outlets" before "Avatar" opens in December. Prescription glasses are on the way some time later.

I guess this means I will not only need my regular prescription pair, but also a sunglasses version (because it is so darn bright here all the time), and now a 3D version for when I am viewing the latest pandering Hollywood gimmick.

Woah is me.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hear you man. 3D is always very dissapointing cause of the glasses. i'm always fumbling with the glasses and never get the whole movie experience. i did see final destination 3D recently and it actually wasn't that bad, but that might have been because of my low expectations.