Monday, November 2, 2009

Demons and Goblins and Ghouls

Starring: Katie Featherston, Micah Sloat
Written by: Oren Peli
Directed by: Oren Peli
Produced by:
Synopsis
Katie and Micah (pronounced Mee-kah) have been engaged to get engaged for three years. He is a daytrader and she is going to school to be an English teacher.

After a series of paranormal experiences, Micah buys a pricey camera to try and capture the events on tape. This will prove without a doubt that either there is some sort of entity in their home, or it's just a bunch of kids messing with them.

The experiment becomes darker and darker as the couple discovers that what they may be dealing with is much more evil than a haunting from a friendly ghost.

As the nights go on, the trouble begins to surmount to the point that Katie and Micah need to do drastic things to try and stop it.

Thoughts
I'll have to admit, this one has gotten to me a little bit.

I remember after watching The Blair Witch Project I was a bit spooked walking to my car, but I don't remember any lasting effects.

This paranormal stuff was not terrifying in a serial killer or monster sort of way, but it creeped in like a dank cold. It chilled every time my thoughts wandered to the more evil and spooky parts of the film.

A member of the audience was so extremely frightened that she kept screaming out loud during the most terrifying parts. It made me love the whole experience of it because nearly the entire audience was either screaming or laughing nervously (probably because they didn't want to look stupid screaming - which is what they really wanted to do.)

This is a film that I'm not sure I could watch again. Well, maybe in a few years. It was an amazing experience that I don't want to ruin, so watching it at home would probably not have the same effect. If I were you I would go watch the movie on a Friday night with a large audience. It will spook the pants off you.

Did You Know?
The director Oren Peli filmed the movie with his own money ($11,000) and shot it within a week?
The film has gone on to gross nearly $85 million in the domestic box-office?
Summation
Place: Arclight Hollywood (11pm Showing)
Price: Free (Thanks Tim!)
Atmosphere: Pretty good, the crowd was mostly into it
Verdict: Very good, but don't see it if you're sensitive to this sort of thing

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

Yeah, I won't be seeing this. Is this what is causing you to stay up late at night? Nervous to go to sleep because of the evil?