Monday, August 31, 2009

Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

As of today I am officially off sugar for at least one month.

I'm not trying to be all healthy or natural or anything, I just think I've had too much of it lately and it has adversely effected my health.

After eating a ton of ice cream, drinking a ton of soda, and delighting on a ton of candy one day I had the worst stomach ache and I think I actually went into sugar shock. It was a terrible feeling. This little incident didn't inspire my newfound resolve, but it sure enforced it.

What is sugar anyway?
Edible crystalline substances, mainly sucrose, lactose, and fructose. Human taste buds interpret its flavor as sweet. Sugar as a basic food carbohydrate primarily comes from sugar cane and from sugar beet, but also appears in fruit, honey, sorghum, sugar maple (in maple syrup), and in many other sources. It forms the main ingredient in candy. Excessive consumption of sugar has been associated with increased incidences of type 2 diabetes, obesity and tooth decay.
I don't want diabetes, obesity and definitely not tooth decay (I'm weird about my teeth). So it is best if I just cut the sinfully delectible compound all-together from my diet.

Substituting it with chemicals like Saccharine, Aspartame or Xylitol is not the answer either. If it isn't naturally sweet like strawberries, then it probably doesn't belong in your body (I'm just sayin'). I've never liked artificial sweeteners or chemicals in my food anyway, it's always felt a bit fraudulent and fabricated. It gives things a plastic-ey feel (have you ever eaten at McDonalds?*)
And so I ask you for your support in this decision. If I'm with you and we are deciding on a beverage, please keep my non-sugar diet in consideration and don't offer a soda or lemonade. Same with dessert options - feel free to eat delightful sweets in front of me, but know that I will want it and will most likely be eying it the entire time.


*I totally love their Big Macs, McChickens, and Double Cheeseburgers. Also, when you get the fries fresh with just the right amount of salt... I'm hungry now.

1 comments:

Shana said...

Good luck, Eric! That's a great goal.