Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ten Films That Changed My Life


TEN FILMS THAT CHANGED MY LIFE

While reading a post about Where The Wild Things Are, a particular commenter caught my eye when she said that the film was similar to The Hurt Locker (which is also an amazing film). She said that the main characters don't change in these films, the audience does. This got me thinking about the films that have changed me in some way.

This thought process was further explored when I read an EW article about Wes Craven and the top ten films that "shook" him up. Meaning the ten films that helped form his style and thought process.

Listed below are the top ten films that I would say most influenced my life so far. I'm also listing a brief explanation of its influence. I wouldn't say they are the most obscure and intellectual choices, but they sure mean a great deal to me. Hope you enjoy.

TOP TEN
  1. Paths of Glory - For some reason this film reached into my soul and shook me like I've never been shook before. I always turn to it as an inspiration for both its technical filmmaking achievements and dramatic story structure. It is what I strive to create in my own career.
  2. The Fifth Element - This was probably the first sci-fi movie that made me look at myself and say "I want to do that." I've been trying to figure out a way to do that since. I can near-quote the whole movie to you.
  3. Rushmore - In some ways I find myself identifying strongly with the main character Max played by Jason Schwartzman. There's so much I want to do and be, but it boils down to who I am that matters. This came at a great time in my life when I was trying to figure that out.
  4. Fight Club - The defiance of authority and shockingly brilliant filmmaking techniques is what made this film an absolute staple of my film education. Going to see it in the theater and learning everything I possibly could about everything about the film was a first for me, and it has become my practice since.
  5. Everything Is Illuminated - This film made me want to be a better human. It has the perfect blend of comedy and drama. Clearly a near-perfect example of how a film can influence the thoughts of an audience.
  6. Dogma - I had already been a fan of Kevin Smith when I went to see this film, but this solidified in my mind how truly great he really is. It taught me that you can be true to your beliefs and values and still entertain. One of the funniest films I have ever seen.
  7. Magnolia - This film challenged me. It forced me to look beyond what I came to expect from movies and taught me how to experience a film. This is probably the first "artistic" film that I came to enjoy.
  8. Jurassic Park - This holds a lot of significant meaning, mostly because it is the first film that I saw my father really get into. It came to symbolize to me that my choice of a career is a correct one and that I could touch the lives of others.
  9. Back to the Future Part III - This film got me into a lot of trouble when I was young. Because of this film, I started to make up stories and create fanciful worlds and ideas that I told around the playground. I was able to convince a lot of people of lies that I had made up and it was this movie that sparked that force within me. I've been telling stories ever since.
  10. Twister - After seeing this film I realized that it was action/sci-fi movies that I most identified with. It has been my goal from then on to make movies that can capture the attention of an audience and then thrill-ride them through two hours of pure glorious entertainment.
What films have formed your style or opinions? What is your top ten? List them in the comments and share with us your reasons.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm not a film-y enough person to have a top ten. However, I did enjoy reading your list. I can totally imagine you as a little kid telling stories and making up stuff. You still do that today. You're a wonderful human being and this industry is lucky to have your great mind to inspire the future.

Rob said...

Seeing Forrest Gump in the theater when it was released was the earliest cinematic experience I remember feeling something profound and beautiful because of a movie. Specifically when he's running as a kid and his braces break off.

Anonymous said...

Nice choices. What did you think of the Jurassic Park sequel, not so good?

Unknown said...

The second one was a nice try, but it was a bit forced (especially because NO ONE liked Malcom in the first one and now he's the amazing lead?!?)

Third one was outright. Even though we had our precious Sam Neill back, it still lacked.