Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Trades


"The Trades" is a term that refers to the various film magazines/newsletters that most people within the entertainment industry subscribe to. They have all the information needed about film, television, theater and music. They are published daily and are sent to most executives and companies throughout the industry.

The two biggest trade magazines (which are also online) are:


Some other news outlets leading the film biz circuit are sites such as:

Some of the lingo that a lot of these magazines and blogs use are hard to decipher at first. It takes some getting used to, but once you start reading them every day you get a sense of what is being said. Below are some terms that I've seen used quite a bit and their appropriate meaning. If you can think of any that I've left out, please post it in the comments.

Helmer: Director
Penned: Writer(s)
Skien: Company
Prexy: President
Exec: Executive
Banner: Title of Company
Thesp: Actor
Picked Up:Purchased or Distributed


I want to talk a little bit more about Film News Briefs.

First of all, let me point out that in my post about Independent Film I neglected to mention the author of the wonderful series on the future of independent film in which I commented on. The author is Neil Turitz and he is the editor of this wonderful service called Film News Briefs.

What they do is compile all of the information from the trade magazines and turn it into a form that can be easily accessible by either email or RSS feed. What I like about this is that I have one source that delivers all of the pertinent news to me from the comfort of my Google Reader.

I suggest everyone go to their website and sign up to receive the updates. While you're there continue reading the series on the Future of Independent Film.

Seriously, check this out, it is worth it.

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

This was very informative. Thank you!