Monday, October 5, 2009

Un-believ-able!




Today's review is of the wonderful espionage comedy -

The Informant!
This was a delightful film to witness. Although I had no knowledge of the Mark Whitacre case, the film does a great job of helping us understand a great deal of the circumstances without giving too much away. During a great portion of the film I was left wondering what (and who) was telling the truth.

This film has some truly amazing elements. I believe that Soderbergh (the director) has nailed the frenetic comedy that has become a trademark of his films. The cinematography is enough to induce a good mood. I really think that Matt Damon did a wonderful job playing this character. There were times when you could see the blank thoughts and convoluted schemes being processed in his head. I also really enjoyed the subtle humor throughout. There were times when I was laughing because of the situation or feeling and other times because of the ridiculous things that Mark Whitacre was saying. Oh the music! So fantastically appropriate and endearing.

The supporting cast was something to die for. I loved the way Tony Hale showed the utter astonishment and fearfulness of Mark's lawyers. Even though Mark's wife Ginger was unfulfilling because of her unwavering faith in her husband's lies, I thought that Melanie Lynskie did a wonderful job of playing the role. Scott Bakula and Joel McHale won me over from the very first moment they were on screen. Everyone else, no matter how small a role, did an amazing job.

If I could say one thing negative about the film, it would be that it was a bit too frenetic. I get that this guy was so up and down and you couldn't really get a hold of his reasoning, but the film felt like we were just riding along with his craziness and not really being grounded by anyone's story. It was a drag to see that the other characters who went through a lot of turmoil because of him were not featured well enough for us to connect with anyone. Matt Damon's character of Whitacre was too unsavory to sympathize with, which turned me off as an audience early on.

Apparently Matt Damon put on a lot of weight to portray this character (which Joel McHale would tell you was 300 pounds), but I don't think it really mattered because his face still looked thin and he was almost always wearing a sweater or something that covered the fatness.

Of all the pros and cons of this film, the pros definitely outweigh the cons to the point that you should see this film.

I really like the production design and cinematography. In celebration of these two things I will post more picture stills from the film:
The recording and taping jokes are amazingly well played.
Very low-key but hilarious all the same.

Walking through the office - a familiar occurance.

Joel McHale and Scott Bakula are amazing.


Whenever you deal in espionage, never let other people read your lips.

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

You could totally tell Matt Damon gained weight. If you didn't notice then you must be a guy. Also, I absolutely loved that this was a period piece. A piece about the 90s. It was like being in my childhood all over again. I really enjoyed this film. Fun times!