Monday, October 19, 2009

Wild Rhumpus

Starring: Max Records, Catherine Keener, James Gandolfini, Lauren Ambrose, Paul Dano, Catherine O'Hara , Forest Whitaker, Chris Cooper
Written by: Spike Jonze & Dave Eggers
Directed by: Spike Jonze
Produced by: Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman, John B. Carls, Vincent Landay and Maurice Sendak
I'm going to forgo the usual movie review of this film because I think you all know my stand on it (I loved it). It had wonderful visuals, a fun soundtrack and amazing acting. Other than that, there's not much else I want to get into (because it would take too long and I'm tired).

Here's what I'm going to do instead:

I'm going to post some pictures from the film and then tell you about an experience we had at the theater that was pretty profound.

Pictures




Experience
At the beginning of our viewing of the film, we had quite an unusual experience that got me thinking about the supposed "scariness" of the film.

With many children in the audience with us, we watched the pre-movie ads that included some Disney movies and games, some cartoons and "making of's" that were for some silly new kids show. This seemed an appropriate demographic for this type of advertisement.

However, when the film started and the trailers began, it was apparent there was some sort of mistake. They showed the following trailers in this order: Daybreakers, The Box, The Lovely Bones, Archangel, and The Fourth Kind. That final one really disturbed my wife.

All these trailers before a PG rated film?!? Needless to say some parents were upset. They stopped the film immediately and went around handing out free passes to another movie while they switched the reels. A girl asked the worker what film they were showing, she said they had accidentally been showing us Paranormal Activity.

This was one of the most amazing experiences ever! For me at least. Watching these frightening trailers with an audience that was completely unaware made me even more excited and gave me more adrenaline than it would knowing we were watching a scary movie. This unsuspecting audience fed on the fear and it was multiplied. Truly one of the most amazing experiences I've had at the theater in a while. It certainly made the film with monsters seem much tamer and pleasant and subsequently did not frighten but help abate the fear within us all.

I had heard arguments against the film saying that the creatures were too scary for children. I strongly disagree. I believe children would identify with these monsters because they look like funny re-imaginings of different animals. These creatures never put Max in a position of harm. He felt threatened twice, but he was able to easily escape both perils. Truth be told, it was a very empowering film for children because it showed them that their fears are valid, but can be overcome by reasoning, truly listening and telling the truth. These were not the boogeymen or monsters under the bed, these are living, breathing imaginary friends who will help them understand their emotions and help them overcome trials.

To put it all in context, I had seen most of the Nightmare on Elmstreet and Friday the 13th movies by the time I was 14. I had seen the remake of Night of the Living Dead when I was about 9. Because of my two older brothers, access to cable channels and my insatiable curiosity to see any and every movie and television show, I had been exposed to a great deal of very scary images when young.

Even some of the more tame but visually still as frightening films had been a particular interest of mine for quite some time. I guess that's why it takes a lot to make me wince or get scared at images on the screen. But it also takes out some of the excitement of these scary movies.

Anyway, I really think you should go see this film (Where The Wild Things Are). It is easily one of my top five favorite movies of the year. It might even be up on the list of best movies I have ever seen. Don't go in it expecting a story, just go expecting to live and remember what it was like to be nine and how much you wish you could just be the ruler of everything.

Summation
Place: CityWalk AMC
Price: $6.00 (plus free tickets for another movie)
Atmosphere: After the initial shock of the trailers and a late start, pleasant. Although, the seating at CityWalk is pretty lame. There are no good seats there.
Verdict: Go see it in the theater because it deserves to be seen on the big screen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your comment about the trailers. It is great to see how captive audiences respond. That can be the most interesting part of a movie!

Who would show a "Lovely Bones" trailer to a bunch of nine-year olds though? That would certainly scare me at that age.

Tiffany said...

Those trailers were mortifying to me. I hate scary movies. I'm just so easily startled I can hardly stand it. I was about to walk out just from those trailers and I wasn't even looking at the screen and my ears were plugged.

As for "Where the Wild Things Are" I'd say it's a great film for kids, especially kids going through some hard times. This is a drama for kids. I liked it.